1. Visit Sámi Siida – Márkanbáiki in Jukkasjärvi with grazing reindeer and Sámi culture information. Feed the reindeers, try throwing lassos and have fun in the play area. Traditionell Sámi food for sale in the big lávvu when hunger strikes.
2. Follow along on a guided tour to the world’s largest underground iron-ore mine. There are tours daily during summer to the show mine LKAB:s Visitor Centre at 540 meters level. Learn more about mining and see some big machines.
3. There are numerous hiking trails to choose from, everything from shorter day trips to multi-day trips. Wherever you go there will be alot for the children to explore. A fun tip is to play some hide-and-seek among the massive rockformations in Kärkevagge! For more tips, contact Kiruna Lappland Tourist Center.
4. Miniature golf and SPA is a perfect way to relax for the entire family – all located at Camp Ripan.
5. Try gold panning for real in the natural environment for gold together with Kristallen in Lannavaara. All the gold you find, you get to keep!
6. Caves evoke feelings of mystery and excitement in exploring things that are secret and long forgotten. Down in the underworld you become overwhelmed by large caverns, narrow passageways and ancient formations created by the forces of nature. Explore one of Swedens longest cave systems – Kåppasjåkka cave. Björkliden and STF Abisko arranges tours all summer.
7. Follow along on a kennelvisit – get to know the dogs, meet the puppies and learn more about life as a musher. You can also go on a cart ride with the huskies!
8. Playing and movement is important! Kirunas largest park is located in the city centre. A fun playground with swings, slides and climbing. Pack some snacks to enjoy inbetween playing.
9. Do like the artists at ICEHOTEL and make your very own ice sculpture with ice from the Torne river. Let your creative mind roam free while a guide teaches you the basics.
10. The Lemmel club in Björkliden, is a way for the children to take a break from their parents and discover the wilderness together with other children. There are also climbing walls, trams, miniature golf and other fun.
11. Go on a lovely boat ride together along the Vistas river. If you are feeling a bit adventurous you can also rent a canoe and paddle on your own.
12. Rent a bicycle and take a tour around Kiruna, see our unique buildings, visit the park and maybe you are lucky to meet the sheep. There is also bike rentals in Björkliden for those who want to ride in a mountain environment.
13. Cellphones and tablets are fun, sure, but nature as a playground is not to be underestimated. Put away the electronics and play like we did back in the day. Make a stone troll, skip stones and build your own cone animal. Only your imagination sets the limits!
14. Take the children on a real nature adventure. Pack the tent and head out on an overnight tour. Make a fire, listen to nature sounds and explore the vast surroundings. Cook over open fire or in a trangia kitchen, drink water straight from the streams and if you encounter snow, then maybe a good ol’ snowball fight is in order!
15. Bring a fishing rod and hope the fishing gods are with you. There are many fishing lakes to discover. Maybe you will catch dinner for the day that you can cook on spot over open fire. More on fishing in Kiruna here.
16. Naturum Abisko show an exhibition about Abisko National Park and its geology, flora, fauna, climate etc. The activity corner is popular among the younger visitors. Naturum Abisko offers different guided tours that you can join.
17. Within in Kiruna municiplaity there are around 6000 lakes and 6 rivers. For a real nature swim there are plenty of possibilites! Badsjön in Björkliden is really cozy and easy to get to. Pack some swimwear and some food and find the perfect lake for you!
18. Esrange Visitor Center presents the activities at Esrange Space base and Swedish Spacerelated work. Look at interactive screens, rockets, balloons, and objects from experiments. The visitor centre is unmanned but offers hot cocoa.
19. Experience the mountains and forests from horseback. Together with Ofelas islandshästar you get to ride in a magnificent mountain environment. Get your horse ready and pack some fika in saddle bags.
20. Aurora Sky Station, located on mount Nuolja 900 meters above sea level, offers spectacular view over Torneträsk, Abisko National Park and the famous Laponian gate. With the chair lift you get a breathtaking ride that takes you up in 20 minutes. At the café you can buy some pastries. If you feel up to it, it is only a short walk to the top.
Please note that different age limits may occur on the various guided activities.