Cultural journey with visit of Jokkmokk’s Winter Market – 8 days
Since year 1605, the Sámi winter market, i.e. Jokkmokk Market, takes place in continuum. Goods on sale have partly changed, but the encounters with people and the atmosphere are still the same. Visitors come from the Sápmi region itself and from afar. In addition to the market, exhibitions and galleries display high-quality crafts and arts, and fashion shows feature modern Sámi design. Lectures, socio-political events, concerts and numerous cultural sessions with joik do contribute to making the winter market a great experience in the Sámi world!
Upon arrival to Kiruna short transfer to our Reindeer Lodge where the first night will be spent. Amidst the forest and with reindeer on your doorstep, we start the following day with a short reindeer sled ride, before we see the world famous Icehotel, the old church of Jukkasjärvi, and make a stop at Sámi Siida-Márkanbáiki. In the afternoon we travel approx. 3 hours by minibus through wintery Lapland until we reach Jokkmokk municipality.
We will stay in comfortable cottages (shower, toilet, some with sauna, in-floor heating, fireplace, living room, TV, modern and fully equipped kitchen, dining area) at Årrenjarka Mountain Lodge. The cottage village is adjacent to a settlers’ homestead which is a family business run by the fifth generation, and beautifully located in the middle of the snowbound taiga, about 1.5 hours car drive from Jokkmokk village.
From here we will take a dog sled excursion into the primeval forests close to the mountains and spend an afternoon with a Sámi host by the campfire. You will also have time to enjoy the winter nature in peace and quiet just for yourself, for example by cross-country skiing, snowshoeing or taking a walk, and of course by comfortably relaxing by the fireplace or in the sauna. On three days we will attend Jokkmokk’s winter market to experience the special and vivid atmosphere and to explore hidden gems.
From the gastronomic point of view the program is accompanied by high-quality local cuisine: moose, reindeer, salmon, lake trout, and white fish – everything from the pure Nordic nature in the surroundings – prepared in a sophisticated way by our hostess, who has a reputation as a first-rate cook. For vegetarians the nature of the north provides allium and bulb vegetables, mushrooms and many other traditional ingredients. With a bit of luck we will have the opportunity of seeing the aurora borealis, i.e. the northern light, on several evenings!
The knowledgeable tour guide will accompany you on your way into the unique and contemporary culture of the Sámi people and the winter wonderland north of the Arctic Circle.
Price: SEK 22300 per person.
Date: 28 January – 4 February 2018.
Start: At Kiruna Airport/train station/tourist center or hotel on 28 Jan. Access to cottage from 14.00.
End: 13.00 at Kiruna Airport/hotel/tourist center or train station on 4 Feb.
– Knowledgeable tour guide throughout from/to Kiruna day 1 to day 8.
– 1x overnight stay/breakfast in cottages at Reindeer Lodge outside Jukkasjärvi; with shower and WC/sauna separately (here possibly up to 3 or 4 people per cottage).
– 6x overnight stay/breakfast in cottages at Årrenjarka Mountain Lodge near Kvikkjokk; each cottage with two rooms for double occupancy, and shower/WC.
– 4x packed lunch.
– 1x dinner in Jukkasjärvi and 4x dinner in Årrenjarka.
– Tours and transfers as per itinerary with minibus; also from Årrenjarka to Jokkmokk’s Winter Market and back.
– Direct encounter with reindeer and short reindeer sled ride.
– Visit of the church, Icehotel and Sámi Siida-Márkanbáiki in Jukkasjärvi.
– Dog sled tour. • Sámi stories by the campfire.
– Day visit of Jokkmokk’s Winter Market on three days.
– Loan of thermal overall, boots, mittens and hat for dog sled tour.
Excluded: Travel insurance, international and domestic fare, alcoholic beverages. 3x lunch and 2x dinner; will be purchased and eaten on winter market or jointly prepared respectively in the evening (self-cater). Winter outer wear.